FRIENDS OF NIGERIA
2011 Annual Report
Friends of Nigeria continues to implement its five goals:
1. to educate the American public about Nigeria,
2. to promote policies consistent with the Peace Corps experience,
3. to be the alumni association for Nigeria Peace Corps Volunteers,
4. to promote continued service to the Nigerian people,
5. to keep members informed about events in Nigeria.
· The highlight of the year was the Friends of Nigeria 50th Anniversary celebration in DC in September. Events included a membership dinner (attendance 171) and breakfast (attendance 163); a private tour of the Smithsonian National Museum of African Art; talks by Randy Adams (20-year Peace Corps staffer) and Hauwa Ibrahim (Nigerian attorney who defended Amina Lawal who had been sentenced to death for alleged adultery); and participation in the Walk of Peace Corps Flags from Arlington Cemetery to the Lincoln Memorial.
· Under the editorships of Warren Keller and Willard J. (Jim) Clark (the torch was passed in late fall 2011), four issues of the Friends of Nigeria Newsletter were published during 2011 with a total of 72 pages. Printed newsletters were mailed to an average 1422 recipients, and in addition email announcements were sent to about 30 members who have opted to download the full-color pdf version of the newsletter from our website. The newsletter includes feature articles, guest columns, opinion pieces, news from Nigeria, book reviews, letters to the editor, member updates, and reports regarding the projects we are supporting financially.
· FON’s web presence consists of:
• Our website <friendsofnigeria.org> with an RPCV/staff directory (as well as lists of “lost” and deceased RPCVs), announcements, a newsletter archive (searchable pdf versions of all FON newsletters are available), etc. – webmaster Greg Jones.
• Our wiki <www.wikifon.org> includes the original training group directories (pdf files), photos, stories, and group histories – organized by Chris Collman and Greg Jones.
• Our group page <community.peacecorpsconnect.org/group/friendsofnigeria> on the Connected Peace Corps social networking website – administered by Greg Jones.
· During fiscal year 2010-11 Friends of Nigeria raised $16,120 for various projects. Combined with funds from our reserves we donated $25,495 to four organizations working in Nigeria (WE CARE Solar, Ashoka, VSO and the Fantsuam Foundation).
· FON’s board of directors conducts most of its business by e-mail, but met via conference call on Feb. 26, 2011 and in person on Sep. 23, 2011 during the 50th anniversary celebration.