FRIENDS OF NIGERIA
2004 Annual Report
Friends of Nigeria continues to implement its five goals:
1. to educate the American public about Nigeria,
2. to promote policies consistent with the Peace Corps experience,
3. to be the alumni association for Nigeria Peace Corps Volunteers,
4. to promote continued service to the Nigerian people,
5. to keep members informed about events in Nigeria.
· The Friends of Nigeria Newsletter continued under the editorship of Andy Philpot. The four issues included a total of 64 pages -- two of which were mailed in brightly colored wrappers that served as membership renewal/new member solicitations. The newsletter mailing list consisted of approximately 1470 addressees. The newsletter includes feature articles, guest columns, opinion pieces, news from Nigeria, book reviews, letters to the editor, and member updates.
· All nine Friends of Nigeria board members attended the NPCA Annual General Meeting in Chicago, IL, August 5-8. The nine board members were all re-elected. A Nigeria Dinner and COS Update were both very well attended.
· While in Chicago, the Friends of Nigeria board approved the sponsorship of two VSOs (Annette Uhlenberg and Irma Fortuin) serving in Nigeria. Since the Peace Corps no longer has a Nigeria program, this was considered to be the best manner in which we could continue to support the Peace Corps’ goals in Nigeria.
· The Friends of Nigeria website <friendsofnigeria.org> continued under the able webmastering of C. Leigh Gerber and Greg Jones.
· Friends of Nigeria maintains a member listserv – currently with ~135 subscribers.
· During fiscal year 2003-04, Friends of Nigeria contributed $1386 to Books for Africa, $290 to Ashoka, and $1015 to the Peace Corps Nigeria Alumni Fund.
· Board member Mike Goodkind continues to lead our advocacy effort, keeping us informed of issues relating to Peace Corps and Nigeria. This listserv and newsletter have provided the means for this communication.