FRIENDS OF NIGERIA
2003 Annual Report
Friends of Nigeria continues to implement its five goals:
1. to educate the American public about Nigeria,
2. to promote policies consistent with the Peace Corps experience,
3. to be the alumni association for Nigeria Peace Corps Volunteers,
4. to promote continued service to the Nigerian people,
5. to keep members informed about events in Nigeria.
· The Friends of Nigeria Newsletter continued under the editorship of Andy Philpot. The four issues included a total of 64 pages, although two of them were mailed in brightly colored wrappers that served as a membership renewal/new member solicitation. The newsletter mailing list grew to 1474 addressees. The newsletter includes feature articles, guest columns, opinion pieces, news from Nigeria, book reviews, letters to the editor, and member updates.
· Six of the nine Friends of Nigeria board members attended the NPCA Annual General Meeting in Portland, OR, August 1-3. The board accepted the resignation of director Jane Toby, and nominated Dave Sugarman to fill the resulting vacancy. Amongst other business, the board decided to contribute $250 to the NPCA to honor the service of Dane Smith upon his retirement. During the conference, two dinners were scheduled for Nigeria RPCVs with about 15-20 individuals attending each event.
· The Friends of Nigeria website <friendsofnigeria.org> continued under the able webmastering of C. Leigh Gerber and Greg Jones.
· Friends of Nigeria maintains a member listserv – currently with 141 subscribers.
· A 38-page Friends of Nigeria 2003 Directory was published and distributed to all dues-paying members. The directory included contact information for about 1500 Nigeria RPCVs and listed 139 deceased Nigeria RPCVs and 245 “lost” Nigeria RPCVs. The directory included group number, geographic, and “maiden name” indexes.
· Board member David Strain supervised the sales of two David Schickele films now available on video – “Give Me a Riddle” and “Bushman.” Schickele, a member of Nigeria 2 who recently died, produced both films in Nigeria. Sales for the 2002-03 fiscal year totaled $419.25.
· For fiscal year 2002-03, Friends of Nigeria raised and contributed $320 to Ashoka and $2089 to Books for Africa.
· In addition to the August board meeting in Portland, the Friends of Nigeria board of directors met via conference call on March 15, 2003. Most board business, however, continues to be conducted via e-mail. Current board members are: Greg Zell, president; Frieda Fairburn, vice president; Peter Hansen, treasurer and membership chair; Ken Sale, secretary; Andy Philpot, newsletter editor; Virginia DeLancey; Mike Goodkind; David Strain; and Dave Sugarman.
· Board member Mike Goodkind led our advocacy effort, keeping us informed of issues relating to Peace Corps and Nigeria. This listserv and newsletter have provided the means for communication.